In Exodus 3, the Lord tells Moses, in answer to the question of His Name, I AM WHO I AM. Like many of us, Moses most likely thought to himself, you are what? Well, Jesus answered that with 7 Statements in the Gospel According to John and two more in Revelation.
Jesus declares, I AM…
- The Bread Of Life
Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty. (John 6:35)
- The Light Of The World
When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” (John 8:12)
- The Gate
I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture. (John 10:9)
- The Good Shepherd
“I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.” (John 10:11)
- The Resurrection And The Life
Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die.” (John 11:25-26)
- The Way, The Truth, And The Life
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14:6)
- The Vine
“I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.” (John 15:5)
- Statement 1 tells us that Jesus is the One who spiritually sustains us.
- In statement 2 we learn that through Him we gain spiritual understanding and wisdom for living.
- Statement 3 explains that He has given us free and unlimited access to His Kingdom.
- Statement 4 shows how He did this by paying our entrance fee with His life
- In statement 5 we learn that whether we die before the rapture or are taken live in it, He has guaranteed our eternal life with God.
- Statement 6 explains that He is the only one who can do this for us, and
- Statement 7 reveals that for the balance of our life on Earth, the things we do in His strength, out of gratitude for what He’s done for us, are the only things that matter.
In Revelation He declares
Alpha and Omega
8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.
The first and the last and He that liveth and was dead
17 And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last: 18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.
We are going to cover the I AM Statements in Revelation first and then will look through John’s record. When we are through we will have a very strong foundation to understand Whom Jesus is.